This sweet and sour chicken recipe is a healthy rendition of the classic Chinese takeaway dish. The recipe uses natural ingredients and is low calorie & high protein so you don’t have to feel guilty or wait to your cheat meal to enjoy it!
Recipe serves 2 large portions or 3 smaller portions.
2 skinless chicken breasts cubed
1 x 425g can pineapple chunks in natural juice
2 tbsp cornflour
2 tbsp dark soy sauce
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
2 tbsp soft light brown sugar
2 tbsp tomato ketchup
½ tsp dried chilli flakes
2 tbsp sunflower oil
1 medium red onion, chopped
2 peppers, red, green, orange or yellow, deseeded and sliced
1 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
25g fresh root ginger, peeled and finely grated
Ground black pepper
1. To make the sauce – drain the pineapple in a sieve over a bowl and keep all the juice. Put the cornflour in a large bowl and stir in three tablespoons of the pineapple juice to make a smooth paste. Add the rest of the pineapple juice and 150ml water, then add the soy sauce, white wine vinegar, sugar, ketchup and chilli flakes. Stir until thoroughly combined and set aside.
2. Heat a tablespoon of sunflower oil in a large wok and stir-fry the onion and peppers for 2 minutes over a high heat.
3. Add another tablespoon of oil and the chicken to the pan and stir-fry for 2 minutes until coloured on all sides.
4. Add the garlic, ginger, pineapple chunks and stir-fry for 30–60 seconds.
5. Give the sauce a good stir and add it to the pan, stirring well and season with ground black pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes stirring a few times. The sauce will become thicker and glossy in appearance, the chicken should be cooked and tender. Serve with portions of browe rice.
I hope you enjoy this recipe, please feel free to post a comment and a photo of how yours turned out!